Written by Minister of Information JR    Saturday, 12 January 2013 22:55    PDF Print E-mail
Young Lady Killer: an interview wit’ Black Belt Tamia Hooker

At the tender age of 15 years old, Tamia Hooker is not in the streets chasing boys, she is at the Delta One Martial Arts studio throwing punches, and kicks, while sparring. In a relatively short amount of time, she has achieved Black Belt status in Kajukenbo. Now she is aimed at becoming a teenage martial arts teacher in Antioch. Check out this rising martial arts star in her own words...

M.O.I. JR:  What Martial arts do you practice?  When did you become interested in martial arts?

Tamia: The martial arts I practice is called Kajukenbo. It’s a hybrid martial art that combines western boxing, Judo, Jujutsu, and Kung Fu. Ive always thought martial arts was interesting, but as a small child around the age of three I started practicing. When I turned 13 thats when I really started to take it serious.

M.O.I. JR: When did you decide you wanted to be a black belt?

Tamia: I didn’t have to decide, it was something for me that was automatic.  I’ve always admired my instructor, and how he teaches our classes.  I knew I wanted to be just like him, an instructor and a roll model.  Now that I’m a black belt I’m being trained to teach the younger classes ages 5-9.

M.O.I. JR: How long did it take you and how much was work was it? How much do you train every week?

Tamia: It took one year to prepare for my black belt. It was really hard work and it took a lot of dedication. I trained four days a week with a total of about 12 hours per week.  My weekends were spent running several miles and tons of boot camp training.

M.O.I. JR: Now that you’re a black belt, what do you want to do next with martial arts?

Tamia: I’m a natural born leader so I think that I’m going to focus on becoming an instructor, and advancing my belt to the highest degree possible. My instructor is a 4th degree black belt, I won’t stop until I have earned the title of Simu Tamia, (the title given when you are a teacher) and can work hard and earn all the degrees of black belts as my instructor has.

M.O.I. JR: Do you want to master other martial arts? Which ones?

Tamia: Yes. I would like to master Kenpo Karate, it is a system of martial arts characterized by the use of quick moves in rapid fire. Although Kajukenbo has jujitsu in it I would like to also learn more about that martial art, it consists of grappling (wrestling) and stricking. I also would like to be more competitive and participate in local tournaments.

M.O.I. JR: Where do you practice ?

Tamia: I attend Delta One Martial Arts in Antioch Ca, under the instruction of Sifu Tim Calvin.

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Reddit! Del.icio.us! JoomlaVote! Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! Yahoo! Free social bookmarking plugins and extensions for Joomla! websites!

Add comment

Security code
Refresh

Your are currently browsing this site with Internet Explorer 6 (IE6).

Your current web browser must be updated to version 7 of Internet Explorer (IE7) to take advantage of all of template's capabilities.

Why should I upgrade to Internet Explorer 7? Microsoft has redesigned Internet Explorer from the ground up, with better security, new capabilities, and a whole new interface. Many changes resulted from the feedback of millions of users who tested prerelease versions of the new browser. The most compelling reason to upgrade is the improved security. The Internet of today is not the Internet of five years ago. There are dangers that simply didn't exist back in 2001, when Internet Explorer 6 was released to the world. Internet Explorer 7 makes surfing the web fundamentally safer by offering greater protection against viruses, spyware, and other online risks.

Get free downloads for Internet Explorer 7, including recommended updates as they become available. To download Internet Explorer 7 in the language of your choice, please visit the Internet Explorer 7 worldwide page.